Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I kinda like exercise! Who woulda thunk it??!!

So I have never been a gym rat. I am a plus size girl and I love my body! With all its curves, lumps and bumps! But I hurt my back on the job this past winter and finally got the diagnosis: herniated disc; lower back right below the fused area of my spine! If you look at the x-ray it is on the right side 2 vertebra below the fused area! That thing sticking out is my herniated disc! Ouchies! So the chiropractor said the dreadful & dirty word: Exercise! To strengthen my core, back muscles and abdominal muscles.

My spine!

So I belong to those various daily deal websites and I had bought a membership to Good Life for $20 for one month and one training session. But I unfortunately let it expire :0( It took 6 months to get my head into that frame of mind of going to a gym.

http://www.groupon.com

So via Teambuy I got a gym membership for Extreme Fitness: 2 months with 2 personal trainer sessions. $24!! Great deal! And my first week at the gym I had a great conversation with a friend who goes to the gym everyday and I guess something stuck in my head because I actually like going to the gym now!

http://www.teambuy.ca/

I did not like the staff at Extreme Fitness from day one of my membership, can we say sizeism!! But I had to focus on me and my back and just as I was starting to think if they give me a good enough deal maybe I will stay on... No! My last week there I asked the trainer who did my last session if he could take a picture of me doing a squat. He had told me I had been doing them incorrectly for 6 weeks so what's the harm in getting a photo of me doing one properly?! He said no and went on about if I feel the pain here and there then I am doing the squat properly. Oh well.. I guess I will move on to somewhere else!

Wagjag offered a 2 month membership at Curves for $24!! Guess where I am going next week??!! ha!

http://www.wagjag.com/

But I digress. Here is a picture of me learning how to nerve floss! My chiropractor has me doing this one in particular to help with the herniated disc! So head up and foot pointed towards the ceiling, then head down and foot relaxed x 15 - 2 sets, in the morning and at night. It's working! When I first started this the pain would shoot straight up into my big toe, now it just goes to about my shin.

Me nerve flossing!

OHH! If you are looking for chiropractic care and cannot afford the full price of a licensed chiropractor.. then I have a suggestion for you.

CMCC: Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College, they have 9 external clinics throughout the city. Their 4th year students are supervised by a fully licensed chiropractor and a much more affordable rate. At the Sherbourne Health Centre is their Annex Clinic: $20 for your first assessment (which is about 1.5 hours) then $10 for your regular visits which last 20 minutes. If you are on a fixed income like Ontario Works, Employment Insurance or Ontario Disability Supplement Program or Self-Employed you can ask the clinician for a reduced rate. I am now attending the South Riverdale Community Health Centre's Annex clinic. They have different rates but again you can speak to the clinician about a reduced rate.

http://www.cmcc.ca/Page.aspx?pid=396

Here's to good health; body, mind and soul! Steph :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment